Event Tracker

Things to do in Syracuse during the 1st week of classes

Nina Gezerma | Asst. Photo Editor

The New York State fair is back in Central New York with food, rides and games going on all week.

Try out virtual reality: Leave central New York without stepping foot off the SU campus— attend a guided session at the Barnes Center at The Arch to learn how to use the Esports Gaming Room’s HTC VIVE Pro VR headsets. The session is from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, and you can make a free reservation here.

Experience a traditional Haudenosaunee gathering: Hosted by Barnes Center spiritual advisor and sculptor Diane Schenandoah, the first annual Haudenosaunee Welcome Gathering will be held on the Shaw Quad on Monday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Join in to welcome all students onto Haudenosaunee territory and prepare for an enriching academic year.

Learn about your libraries: Bird Library will be hosting a welcome event for all students to introduce the myriad of resources and services available through SU’s libraries. There will be a passport activity, refreshments and prizes from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday.

Join a club sport: Interested in learning more about SU’s club sports? Attend the Club Sports Fair in the Flanagan Gym at the Barnes Center to meet representatives from almost 50 teams. Learn everything you need to know about club sports, from how to join teams to how to start your own.

The Schine Center will be hosting The LGBTQ Resource Center’s Knit 3 Spill the Tea event on Friday.

Go mini golfing: Get off campus to play mini golf or laser tag at Big Don’s Wild River on Thursday night from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. For only $3, Orange After Dark offers students food and transportation to and from the venue. The event is open to all, and tickets are required to purchase in advance.

Get crafty: Love to knit, crochet or chat with others? The LGBTQ Resource Center’s Knit 3 Spill the Tea event on Friday is an opportunity to do all the above. Head to room 132 in the Schine Student Center from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. to get your stitch on.

Go on a weekend backpacking trip: If you’re experienced with hiking, embark on a trip along Cranberry Lake in the Adirondacks and camp at scenic locations. Because the trip will cover eight to 14 miles a day, this trip is not recommended for backpacking beginners.

Play bingo — and win free groceries: If your Friday night is free and you enjoy the classic game of Bingo, head to Schine Student Center at 10 p.m.! The prize for the winner is a whole tote bag of groceries and snacks.

Go white water rafting: Looking to lean into your adventurous side? Rafters of all levels are invited to experience a professionally guided adventure on upstate New York’s expansive Black River. The trip runs from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, and the trip fee starts at $30.

Try a mountain coaster: Go on an aerial adventure at Greek Peak Mountain Resort this weekend. Fees start at $30 and cover a day at the resort, including the mountain coaster, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Visit the Great New York State Fair: Packed to the brim with carnival foods, sky-high rides, neon lights and cows, the New York State fair has something for everyone. The fairgrounds are open from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Thursday and 9 a.m. to midnight Friday to Sunday.

Immerse yourself in nature: If you love the great outdoors, a day hike at Green Lakes could be for you. Take a trip to the scenic spot from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday for a fee starting at $5.

Play ultimate frisbee: Whether you’re a seasoned player or a newbie to ultimate frisbee, check out Discology on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for a round robin-style tournament. Discology will take place on the Lower Hookway field on South Campus, and snacks will be available.

Attend a Food Truck Rodeo: Have you ever wanted BBQ, lobster and lumpia in a single sitting? Now you can — at the Syracuse Food Truck Association’s Food Truck Rodeo from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sept. 1 to 8. Up to 50 food trucks will be in attendance.