SU Athletics

Check out these 5 sports over grad weekend

Women's rowing is one of three SU teams competing in ACC tournaments this weekend.

SU Athletics has a busy slate of games, including three Atlantic Coast Conference Tournaments, during graduation weekend. Though most events aren’t taking place on SU’s campus, cheering on Syracuse sports with the family is always fun, especially during such a celebratory time.

Here’s six can’t-miss events to watch over graduation weekend:

Women’s Rowing: ACC Championship (May 13-14)

The women’s rowing ACC Championship will take place Friday and Saturday on Lake Hartwell in Clemson, South Carolina. Syracuse is the No. 1 seed in the varsity eight, second varsity eight and second varsity four. Duke is the top seed in varsity four and Virginia is top in the third varsity eight. 

Syracuse earned its first-ever top seed at the ACC tournament event. The Orange are also No. 3 in varsity four and No. 5 in the third varsity eight. No. 11 SU is the top-seeded ACC team, according to the Pocock/Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association Poll. Both events have an 8:05 a.m. starting time.

Women’s Lacrosse: NCAA Tournament Round One (May 13)

SU secured the No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament after a disappointing first-round loss to Virginia in the ACC Tournament. The Orange take on Fairfield at 4 p.m. in Princeton, New Jersey Friday.

Syracuse will be looking to make a first-round statement against Fairfield to get its confidence riding high for the next round, where it could face the winner of Princeton vs. UMass on May 15 at noon. If SU wins both games this week, there are two more rounds of play before the national championship on May 29 in Baltimore, Maryland.

Outdoor Track and Field: ACC Championship (May 12-14)

Syracuse track and field heads to Duke’s Morris Williams Stadium for the ACC Outdoor Championships on Thursday. Some preliminary races are on Thursday, including men’s and women’s 400-meter hurdles and 200-meter dash before the final 10,000-meter races. 

The preliminaries continue Friday, with races ranging from 100-meter to 800-meter before ending with the final 3,000-meter races. Most events have their medal race on Saturday, starting at 5 p.m. and ending with the last race at 8:40 p.m., all of which can be seen on ACC Network Extra.

catch-these-sprots-01

Megan Thompson | Design Editor

Syracuse Crunch First Round Playoffs: Games 3-5 vs Laval Rockets (May 12, 14, 17)

The Syracuse Crunch, an American Hockey League affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning, finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. The Crunch are currently tied 1-1 in their first round series against the Laval Rockets after dropping the second game, 3-2

The team travels to Laval, Quebec for the third and fourth games of the series before returning to Syracuse for a possible fifth game. If Syracuse splits the series in Laval, the series will progress to a win-or-go-home game five on May 17 at Upstate Medical Arena at The Oncenter War Memorial. If the Crunch win, their next playoff series would start shortly after against the Rochester Rockets or the Utica Comets.

Softball: ACC Tournament (May 12)

Syracuse clinched a spot in the ACC Tournament after sweeping North Carolina in the final series of the season. Then, the No. 9-seeded Orange beat No. 8 seed Louisville 2-0 on Wednesday, advancing out of the first round for the first time in program history. The Orange play No. 1 seed Virginia Tech at 11 a.m. on Thursday.