Disability Pride Week 2022

SU to offer a variety of events for the inaugural Disability Pride Week

The week, which was coordinated by four different SU centers and offices, includes both in-person and online events.

This week, Syracuse University will present its inaugural Disability Pride Week, which will celebrate people embracing their full identities, including their disabilities, according to SU’s website. The campus community will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of in-person and virtual events to celebrate and learn from people with disabilities.

Disability Pride Week is coordinated by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Disability Cultural Center, Center for Disability Resources and the Office of Interdisciplinary Programs and Outreach. SU students, staff and faculty members also participated in the development of the week.

In the Peter Graham Scholarly Common (Room 114) at Bird Library on Monday, Disability Pride Space will host a place of reflection and community for all visitors. Attendees will learn about the disability community, its culture and its history. The space will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

From 4:30-5:30 p.m. on Monday, a workshop called Neurodiversity Community at SU: Tips and Strategies for College Success will offer ways to support neurodivergent SU students. Dr. Scott Michael Robertson will discuss strategies for issues such as self-advocacy, engagement in college life and executive functioning and time management.

Taking place on Tuesday is The Ethics of Passing and Disability Disclosure in Higher Education, with Joseph A. Stramondo. This talk will delve into whether a person should have to disclose their disability in a higher education setting. The event is virtual and will take place from 5-6:30 p.m.

Additionally, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion will host Game Night on JackBox on Tuesday. The online event will be held on Zoom from 7-9 p.m.

On Wednesday, there will be a virtual interactive session called Reasonable Accommodations for Qualified Employees with Disabilities. It will give faculty and staff an understanding of what is and is not a reasonable accommodation, why these accommodations are provided and how to acquire them. The event will be held from 1:30-2:30 p.m.

There will be a virtual conversation on Thursday with Haben Girma titled Disability, Diversity and the Law. Grima, a human rights lawyer advancing disability justice, will take attendees through her life as a daughter of refugees, a Black disabled woman and Harvard University’s first deafblind graduate.

The Disability Resources Fair will take place on Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the first floor atrium of the Schine Student Center. Attendees can learn more about the many opportunities and resources offered to people with disabilities at SU.

On Saturday, the Documentary Screening and Discussion: “Deej – Inclusion shouldn’t be a lottery” event will take place at 316 Waverly Avenue from 7-9 p.m. The film is about the life of Deej, a non-talking autistic man who was abandoned by his parents at birth. Following the screening, there will be a Q&A session hosted by Benjamin Jones and Alexis Wilner.