DPS investigating anti-LGBTQ language outside Brewster Hall

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-Chief

There are currently no suspects. Anyone with information about this incident can contact DPS at 315-443-2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS via the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian app.

There’s still one Orange to root for — The Daily Orange! Donate today and help us win College Media Madness.

The Syracuse University Department of Public Safety is investigating reports of an individual shouting hateful language that is derogatory and offensive to the LGBTQ community, according to a campus-wide email Saturday.

The incident, which was reported on Friday, occurred in Brewster Hall.

Since the filing of the report, DPS has reviewed security footage and conducted interviews with the individual who reported the incident as well as others who were in the area at the time.

“We are working quickly to gather all possible information in hopes of identifying the (person) responsible for verbally degrading another member of our community. We have been in touch with and offered support to the impacted student,” said Craig Stone, SU’s chief of campus safety and emergency management services, in the email.

“I am disappointed by this behavior and encourage anyone who observed this incident or has information that could lead to the responsible party being identified to come forward. Together, we must commit to fostering a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment,” Stone said.

media_madness_button_2022