University Union

UU to screen ‘Do the Right Thing’ in celebration of Black History Month

Courtesy of University Union

“Do the Right Thing” is a 1989 feature film about a summertime clash between Black Americans and Italian Americans in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

In celebration of Black History Month, University Union is partnering with Syracuse University’s Student Association and 119 Euclid to screen “Do the Right Thing.”

The screening will take place on Feb. 23 in Watson Theater at 7:30 p.m., UU announced in a press release. The screening is free and open to all SU and SUNY-ESF students, faculty and staff. Masks are required for all attendees.

“Do the Right Thing” is a film directed and written by Spike Lee, starring Lee and actors Danny Aiello, Giancarlo Esposito and Rosie Perez. Released in 1989, the film portrays a hot summer day in a Brooklyn neighborhood as tensions simmer between the Black American residents and the local Italian American pizzeria owners.

The film has been preserved by the National Film Registry and has been deemed “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant” by the Library of Congress, UU said in a press release.

If you require accommodations, contact UU Vice President Molly Gross at [email protected]. For more information, contact UU Director of Public Relations Samantha Goldstein at [email protected].