Student Association

SA petition will provide a platform for dining hall food quality concerns

Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

SA also passed a bill acknowledging the need for more female representation in the university for fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The Student Association announced Monday night that it was distributing a form allowing students to voice their thoughts about dining hall food quality.

William Treloar, the speaker of the assembly, encouraged SA members to share the form among SU students.

“I am hearing from students … that the dining hall food is not accommodating to their needs,” Treloar said. “(Whether it’s) gluten free, vegan, lactose intolerant, or just that the food is not satisfactory to nutritional values or that they cannot get enough food.”

Treloar said that students can upload images of food from the dining halls, file testimonials and sign a provided petition.

“We pay $20 (for) a meal swipe. Our food quality should be higher at that kind of price point,” he said.

David Bruen, the president of SA, said the association has been working closely with the dining hall team. The petition, Bruen said, allows SA to bring up specific testimonials from students.

Bruen and Vice President Darnelle Stinfort announced that they, alongside 10 other SA members, will not be attending next week’s SA meeting. The group will be traveling to Kansas City, Missouri, for a conference hosted by the National Association for Campus Activities.

Bruen said the conference is an opportunity to build relationships and network with other student leaders, and Stinfort said the conference brings together students from a collection of universities and student governments to learn how to be better leaders.

“It’s really exciting for me because I get to see other students from other schools and to get better perspectives and bring them here and utilize them,” Stinfort said.

In addition to the two announcements, SA passed a bill acknowledging the need for more female representation in the university for fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The association also appointed Richard Kaufman IV as the chair of the board of elections. In an email to the student body, Kaufman said that positions for president, executive vice president, comptroller and assembly seats are open.

Students who are interested in running for an office in SA can attend two information sessions. The first will be held on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in Heroy Geology Building room 114. The second session will be held on Feb. 10 at 6 p.m. at 119 Euclid Ave. The deadline to file a petition to run for office is noon on March 1. The election will take place throughout April 4-8.

Bruen additionally called on SA members to draft a bill that will set up a transition committee aiming to help move between successive sessions and presidential administrations.