Being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be lonely

Katelyn Marcy | Senior Staff Illustrator

Tennity Ice Rink will host an Open Skate from noon to 10 p.m. on Monday for anyone looking to skip Valentine’s Day-related activities.

It is officially the season of love, but what does that mean for those spending this Valentine’s Day without a significant other? Although many people dread this annual holiday that’s overwhelmed with love, being single on Valentine’s Day is an opportunity that can be enjoyed by anyone.

On Feb. 14, students all over campus will be searching for things to do alone or with friends, and there are a variety of activities that they can expect.

For those looking to make non-romantic and non-sexual connections, Syracuse University is putting on an Aro/Ace Valentine’s Day Gift Swap on Monday at the Schine Student Center from 5-6 p.m. Tennity Ice Rink will also open its rink for Open Skate from noon to 10 p.m. on Monday, an option for students looking to skip Valentine’s Day-related activities all together.

Despite the many social opportunities around campus, some may opt for alone time this Valentine’s Day. Spending time alone on a holiday dedicated to lovers can be straining for many, and overwhelming feelings of loneliness on Valentine’s Day can create anxiety and stress.

Alex Ryberg Gonzalez, a freshman, shared some insight to learning to alleviate those feelings and appreciate Valentine’s Day regardless of relationship status.

“Being from Mexico, I have always thought of Valentine’s Day as a day to love those around you,” Gonzalez said. “In Mexico, Valentine’s Day is known as ‘Día del Amor y Amistad,’ which translates to ‘Day of Love and Friendship,’ so I’ve always thought of it as a day to love and appreciate all those around me.”

Many students also choose to treat themselves to keep Valentine’s Day-related anxieties down. Whether that is ordering take-out or stopping by 3Fifteen to do some thrifting in Marshall Square Mall, students recommend celebrating with a treat to boost spirits and stay entertained.

Gonzalez recalled the candies that her parents gave them when he was little, and she said that treats like these are a good way to celebrate.

“I’ve never really had a problem with Valentine’s Day. I have really fond memories of my parents giving me little boxes of candy to celebrate.”

Freshman Laura Jayne said that she’s not a fan of Valentine’s Day as much now that she’s older.

“I enjoyed Valentine’s Day as a kid, but now I don’t really care for it,” Jayne said. “I wish we celebrated Valentine’s Day in a less romantic way that was more inclusive of all types of love.”

Many students are spending the holiday in a way that’s not overly complicated or romantic but still fun and enjoyable. Freshman Ben Dennison said that he’s spending Valentine’s Day like just a regular day.

“I’m just going to go about my day like I always do and hang out with some friends,” Dennison said. “Treating it like a normal day prevents unnecessary stress.”