Crime

County sheriff’s deputy shoots son, wife in suspected murder-suicide

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Karen Eames is in serious condition at Upstate University Hospital. Troy Eames, a SUNY-ESF student, died at the hospital on Monday afternoon.

Editor’s Note: This story contains mentions of suicide.

The mother of SUNY-ESF student Troy Eames, who was killed Monday, told investigators her husband — a deputy of Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office — was responsible for the shooting at their home in Clay, New York.

The deputy, Isaac Eames, shot his son, wife and family dog before shooting himself at their home in Clay, Sheriff Eugene Conway said Tuesday. He fired eight shots in total, and only his wife, Karen Eames, survived.

Karen is in serious condition at Upstate University Hospital. Troy died at the hospital on Monday afternoon.

Karen reported the shooting to the Onondaga County 911 Center shortly after 7:30 a.m. Monday, syracuse.com reported. The dispatcher said a woman had been shot and two other people were in the house.

Dispatchers later said three people were “down” and they needed two additional ambulances following an initial ambulance.

Isaac had been employed as a deputy in the civil division since 2010. Karen is a secretary for the Liverpool Central School District.

A vigil will be held for the victims at Pope John XXIII Roman Catholic Church in Liverpool at 7 p.m. Thursday.

A GoFundMe page was created Tuesday by Karen’s sister, Annette Cittadino, to support Karen and her surviving son. As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, the page had raised over $60,000.

This post will be updated with additional reporting.