State

Kimberly T. Hill appointed as New York state’s 1st Chief Disability Officer

Jaden Chen | Asst. Photo Editor

The Chief Disability Officer will prioritize the needs of the entire disability community with a well-resourced office, the press release said.

Gov. Kathy Hochul appointed Kimberly T. Hill as New York state’s first Chief Disability Officer, according to a press release.

The position was established Tuesday along with the Office of the Chief Disability Officer, which will advocate for people with disabilities.

“I am looking forward to leading a well-resourced Office of the Chief Disability Officer to bring the voices and priorities of all people with disabilities to the forefront and working towards a more integrated, inclusive and accessible New York,” Hill said in the release.

The State Office of the Advocate for People with Disabilities was established via executive order in 1983 with a similar mission. The responsibilities shifted to the Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities when it was established in 2011 and later to the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs once the CQC disbanded in 2013.

“My administration is committed to protecting the right of all New Yorkers to live and work in our state free from the fear of discrimination,” Hochul said. “It is critical that we prioritize the protection of our most vulnerable communities, and the new Office of the Chief Disability Officer will ensure we remain accountable to the pursuit of a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable New York.”