State

AAUP endorses New York state budget, seeks increased financial aid

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-chief

Today, the Tuition Assistance Program can provide funding of up to $5,665 and can be renewed on a yearly basis.

The New York State Conference of the American Association of University Professors applauded Gov. Kathy Hochul’s recently released state budget proposal for its focus on higher education.

The proposed budget includes $150 million to expand the state’s Tuition Assistance Program, which financially supports New York state residents attending SUNY, CUNY or not-for-profit independent colleges such as Syracuse University.

“These programs help to provide funds and resources for students in NYS who, for any number of reasons, would otherwise be unable to attend a higher education institution,” the organization wrote in a press release.

As a part of the state’s investment in higher education, Hochul’s plan also sought to close what Fred Floss, the Chair of NYSC AAUP’s Government Relations Committee, called the “TAP gap.”

The Tuition Assistance Program would previously cover the cost of education, said Floss, who also serves as a professor of economics and finance at SUNY Buffalo State College. Though tuition increased, the amount of funding students received through the program did not.

The gap in what was needed in funding and what was given by the state had an effect on low-income families, Floss said. It also had a cascading impact on educational institutions.

“It put pressure on the budgets of higher education institutions, because as they didn’t get as many students, they didn’t have as much revenue, where before that revenue would have been covered by the state,” Floss said. “It essentially was a de facto cut in funding for higher education.”

Today, the Tuition Assistance Program can provide funding of up to $5,665 and can be renewed on a yearly basis. SUNY-ESF’s current tuition for New York state residents is $7,270, creating a gap of $1,605.

New York State Conference AAUP President Mary Rose Kubal said in the press release that it is important to support all students, regardless of background.

“By providing funding for these vital programs, we can continue to provide robust higher education in New York State,” Kubal said.

Floss also said the governor did not cut the higher education budget, something previous governor’s have done.

“The traditional game in budgeting for a long time has been to cut higher ed’s budget, and then allow the legislature to put the money back in,” said Floss.

Typically, after the yearly executive budget is published, committees within the state senate and assembly negotiate with the governor to increase funding in specific areas such as higher education. Now with Hochul not cutting higher education spending in the executive budget, the committee does not have to negotiate to avoid having funds cut, Floss said.

The New York State Conference AAUP is currently pushing for the state budget to increase operating and Bundy Aid to colleges and universities, the press release wrote. Bundy Aid provides financial support to independent colleges and universities in New York state.

“Most Bundy aid does end up going to scholarships or paying for student services,” Kubal said, “things like mental health care that schools wouldn’t be able to afford.”

Mike Haynie, SU’s vice chancellor of strategic initiatives and innovation, told The Daily Orange in 2018 that protecting Bundy Aid was a main lobbying issue for the university.

“The NYS AAUP Conference is happy with the steps Gov. Hochul is taking and looks forward to working with her in providing an exemplary education for New York State students,” the press release said.