Black History Month 2022

119 Euclid hosts Trap and Paint event celebrating art, music for Black History Month

Siron Thomas | Asst. Culture Editor

Rashad Mustafa Sr.’s painting “Poetic Justice," is one of his works inspired by the movies and TV shows he watched with family when he was younger.

olympics-01

Even though it was freshman Nyreé Walrond’s first time going to a Trap and Paint event, she said she expected a good time when she stepped into 119 Euclid.

“I figured it’d be a pretty cool vibe,” Walrond said. “Of course it’s Black History Month so you have to step out, but the vibes are always nice.”

On Feb. 11, 119 Euclid unveiled their Voices of the Heroes Artwalk. The exhibit gets its name from the collaborative Lil Durk and Lil Baby album. The artwalk features the work of different Black artists, with the different paintings portraying varying themes.

Syracuse local Rashad Mustafa Sr. contributed his painting “Poetic Justice” to the artwalk. The painting features Tupac Shakur and Janet Jackson, the two stars of the movie the work of art gets its name from.

Mustafa — who said he has been drawing since 2017 — said that because he always finds himself drawing, he often runs out of things to paint, so he goes to paintings as well as nostalgic movies and TV shows he used to watch with his family.

“When I see it, it brings back a memory of where I watched it, who I watched it with and what I was feeling,” Mustafa said. “Something that brings me back to my childhood.”

Mustafa added that he hopes his collaboration with 119 Euclid can connect him to like-minded people and open doors to things like events and other unexpected surprises.

The opening of the artwalk was accompanied by a Trap and Paint on Friday night from 7-9 p.m. Participants had the chance to paint over pre-drawn sketches of popular Black musicians like Drake, Lil Baby and City Girls. While attendees painted, DJ Maestro played trap music from artists like Fivio Foreign and Migos.

Even though it was the first Trap and Paint for most of the participants, students shared their excitement for the event. Clareese Bonsu, a freshman, said that as an architecture student, she’s constantly surrounded by art. She registered for the Trap and Paint because she was interested in working on art in a space with people who looked like her.

“I thought it’d be kind of cool to have a paint night but then have the intention to have fun,” Bonsu said. “It’s really good not to just always be in the studio space and remember your culture a little bit.”

Freshman Monday Carter also shared this sentiment. While she hasn’t heard of a Trap and Paint before, she was excited to be in a space with other Black people.

“I was excited to have a new experience, listen to good music and have a little fun,” Carter said. “Looking forward to being surrounded by people that look like me and talking about things that I don’t usually talk about.”