Coronavirus

SU updates COVID-19 isolation procedures for students, faculty, staff

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Anyone who is exposed, whether vaccinated or not, should receive a COVID-19 test five days after exposure and watch for symptoms for a period of 10 days.

Syracuse University’s public health team revised the university’s quarantine procedures for faculty and staff who test positive for COVID-19 or come into contact with a positive case, according to a university news release on Jan. 10. In an email to students and families on Thursday, Dr. Karen Nardella, medical director of the Barnes Center at The Arch, detailed additional isolation procedures for students.

The updated guidelines for faculty and staff are based on communications from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the Onondaga County Health Department, said Mike Haynie, vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation.

When isolating, employees who reside in Onondaga County must complete the county’s isolation self-attestation form in addition to other guidelines from the county, including notifying close contacts.

Employees who test positive may then exit isolation on the sixth day if asymptomatic or if their symptoms are resolving. If symptoms such as a fever continue after five days, employees should wait until they are fever-free for 24 hours without medication before exiting quarantine.

There is no testing requirement to return to work if asymptomatic after isolation, according to the release, but those leaving isolation should wear a mask for an additional five days afterwards.

CDC guidelines say an employee exposed to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 is not required to quarantine if the employee is fully vaccinated and has received their booster shot, according to the release. The employee should, however, wear a mask around others for a period of 10 days after exposure.

If an employee is exposed to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 but the employee is not yet fully vaccinated — which includes a booster shot if eligible — or has received their shot within 14 days of being exposed, the employee is required to quarantine for five days.

Anyone who is exposed, whether vaccinated or not, should receive a COVID-19 test five days after exposure and watch for symptoms for a period of 10 days, the release said.

According to Nardella’s email, quarantine procedures for students will depend on both their residence and the presence of symptoms.

Students who reside in a South Campus apartment or off-campus housing must isolate at their residence for five days following a positive test result, with “Day Zero” being either the date of the positive test or the beginning of symptoms.

In accordance with CDC guidance, students who do not have symptoms may resume essential activities on “Day 6.” Under these circumstances, students may attend classes but must avoid places where they cannot mask around others such as gyms and communal eating areas for a full 10 days. These students must also wear a mask when in the presence of others for five days after exiting quarantine.

If a student continues to display symptoms after five days of isolation, then the isolation period will continue until the symptoms are resolved or resolving.

Students who live in on-campus residence halls will be sent to Skyhall or other university-provided isolation facilities following a positive test result, with “Day Zero” being either the date of the positive test or the onset of symptoms.

Essential activities may resume for students who live in on-campus residence halls on “Day 6” if symptoms are not present. The guidelines remain the same as those for students residing in South Campus apartments or off-campus housing, but these students may not access the residential areas of residence halls.

If a student lives in an on-campus residence hall without a roommate, they may move back into their dorm on “Day 6” but must continue to wear a mask when in the presence of others for five more days.

Students who live on campus with one or more roommates will receive a saliva PCR test at Skyhall on the morning of “Day 6.”

If the test is negative, the student may move back into their residence hall and resume essential activities while continuing to mask for five days. If the test is positive, the student must continue to reside in Skyhall for an additional five days. They may resume essential activities such as attending classes after a positive test on “Day 6” but must wear a mask at all times, avoid eating around others and continue to sleep in their isolation housing at Skyhall.

The Barnes Center will contact students to determine when they may exit isolation.