Owen Hiltz will reportedly miss significant time with upper body injury

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA Today Sports

Hiltz was expected to play a key role in Syracuse's offense this season.

Syracuse attack Owen Hiltz will reportedly miss significant time after suffering an upper body injury in the Orange’s preseason scrimmage against Michigan, according to a report from Inside Lacrosse.

The injury reportedly resulted from a hit during the scrimmage, and Hiltz departed early and didn’t return. A source close to Hiltz confirmed the injury to The Daily Orange but added that the severity is still unclear to them.

Hiltz had the most goals (29) and the second-most points (48) for SU last season. He was the only freshman among Syracuse’s starting attacks, which also featured Stephen Rehfuss and Owen Seebold.

Hiltz, an Ontario native, grew up playing box lacrosse in Canada. The smaller-sized lacrosse field and enclosed space helped hone his lacrosse IQ and stick skills. Hiltz was the No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2020 and earned his first career start in Syracuse’s second game of the season last year.

Hiltz posted five points in that start against Virginia on Feb. 27, 2021, scoring three goals and adding two assists. Without Rehfuss, Hiltz was projected to start for SU this season alongside Seebold.

The Orange’s season is scheduled to start on Feb. 12 against Holy Cross and will mark the start of Gary Gait’s tenure as the team’s head coach. Gait led the SU women’s lacrosse program from August 2007 until June 2021, when men’s head coach John Desko announced his retirement.