Women's Lacrosse

Sophomore attack Emma Ward out for 2022 season with lower-leg injury

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA Today Sports

Emma Ward was one of seven Syracuse players to receive preseason All-American honors.

Roughly two weeks before Syracuse’s season begins, Emma Ward announced via Twitter that she suffered a lower-leg injury in the preseason and will miss the entire 2022 season.

Ward, an attack who stepped up toward the end of last season as a freshman while Emily Hawryschuk and Megan Carney were both out with a torn ACL, scored 43 goals and recorded 30 assists for the Orange and was instrumental in helping Syracuse finish as national runners-up.

Against Florida in the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals, Ward helped Syracuse prevail in a 17-11 win with a career-high six goals along with an assist. Ward also had three goals and three assists in the semifinal win over Northwestern, helping Syracuse get to the championship game against Boston College.

At the end of the 2021 season, Ward ranked second on the team with 73 points and 30 assists, and third on the team with 43 goals.

Going into the season, Ward was named an Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-America honorable mention, along with six other Syracuse players.

Before her most recent injury, Ward suffered torn ACLs in both of her knees in high school.

“This is just a small bump in the long road I am navigating,” Ward wrote on Twitter. “I cannot wait for the day when I can wear the block S once again and play the sport I love.”

Syracuse’s first game of the season is on Feb. 11 against Stanford, and the Orange will likely rely on the trio of Meaghan Tyrrell, Hawryschuk and Carney in Ward’s absence.