Sophomore guard Priscilla Williams will redshirt 2021-22 season

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA Today Sports

Priscilla Williams led the team with 34 3-pointers made last season.

Every dollar donated during December will go directly toward paying students to produce stories like this one. Give now and ensure a brighter future for The Daily Orange.

Syracuse guard Priscilla Williams announced her decision to redshirt the 2021-22 season on Wednesday morning, according to syracuse.com.

“I have come to the decision that I will redshirt this basketball season but will still support my team till the end. Thank you for all the love, prayers and support. I’ll be back soon,” Williams wrote via Instagram.

Williams has been dealing with a minor injury and was listed as “day-to-day” by acting head coach Vonn Read since the beginning of the season. The sophomore last played on March 5 in the ACC Tournament quarterfinal match where she suffered a season-ending head injury just over eight minutes into the game.

Williams is one of three returning players from last season’s roster and Syracuse’s only returning starter. She started 21 games during her rookie campaign, averaged 8.7 points per game and led the team in 3-pointers made with 34. At 6-foot-2, Williams was set to be one of Syracuse’s main targets in the paint this season as its second-tallest player.

“She’s an excellent shooter, she has good size out on the perimeter, she has versatility, so she’ll be able to play most of the positions for us,” Read said during the preseason. “Most players take that jump that sophomore year, so we believe she’ll be able to do that.”

Her decision to redshirt brings SU’s roster total to just 11 active players, a team that has already been limited due to injuries from Eboni Walker and Jayla Thornton just seven games into the season.