From the Stage

Student musicians play acoustic songs at ‘Tiny Desk’ concert in Bird Library

Sophia Moore | Contributing Writer

The show was inspired by NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concert” series, in which musicians play intimate acoustic sets of popular songs.

Hosting a concert in a library may seem counterintuitive, but senior Jackson Siporin knows how to pull it off. Siporin’s inaugural Tiny Desk Cuse concert featuring singer-songwriter Erin Manion took place in the Peter Graham Scholarly Commons on the first floor of Bird Library on Thursday evening.

Siporin, a senior known for his work as the saxophonist in NONEWFRIENDS., created the project through the Blackstone LaunchPad.

“I’ve been saying since my freshman year, especially as a musician myself, we need more places to play on campus that are cool,” Siporin said. “That’s what I’m trying to start here.”

Tiny Desk Cuse is a live and virtual experience showcasing student musicians in a stripped-down setting — a small concert venue with minimal audio technology. Siporin took inspiration from NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concert” series, which features prominent musicians playing live versions of hit songs in a small space.

Siporin said he wants to host concerts weekly and film the shows to upload online, and he plans to upload the recording for Thursday’s show by Sunday. He hopes to grow an online audience this semester and he’s not as concerned with building an in-person audience, especially given the university’s current COVID-19 restrictions.

At Thursday’s concert, the atmosphere was homey but electric. Lit by fairy lights and dimmed studio lighting, the room was a cozy but cool setting for the show, aligning perfectly with Siporin’s vision. The titular tiny desk was outfitted with Stevie Wonder and Donna Summer records as well as a slew of knick knacks, from a plaque proclaiming “I am the boss” to a small and sparkly pumpkin.

Behind the desk, Manion sat in between guitarist Peter Groppe and audio engineer Jack Harrington. Manion and Groppe engaged with the minimal audience as about 10 students filed into the room, cracking jokes and warming up for the show. In the casual environment, the audience and performers were able to chat, adding to the intimacy of the event.

Manion, Groppe and Harrington are all seniors in the Setnor School of Music and friends of Siporin’s. Siporin reached out to Manion as the inaugural Tiny Desk guest with the intention of showcasing Manion’s talent in a new light.

“I know Erin’s shows are usually really crazy,” Siporin said. “This was just a really cool opportunity to see Erin in an acoustic setting.”

Manion and Groppe kicked off the show with a cover of American rock band Pinegrove’s song “Waveform.” Manion cited Pinegrove as one of her musical influences and favorite bands, which is why she chose the track as the first of four in her set.

The other three songs of Manion and Groppe’s set included an acoustic cover of Nirvana’s “All Apologies,” in the style of the band’s MTV Unplugged acoustic performance of the song, as well as two of Manion’s original songs, “Feeling Woodstock” and “Movies.” Manion said she wanted to choose songs that she thought would be popular for the audience and appropriate for the setting.

Despite the acoustic instrumentals, Manion and Groppe managed to pack power in their performance, delivering passionate and emotive renditions of the four tracks. Groppe said that he and Manion only practiced twice in preparation for the show, but he emphasized how naturally he and Manion play together.

The concert ran for just under a half hour, with Manion and Groppe pausing to chat with the audience briefly in between songs. At the show’s conclusion, the small crowd erupted in applause. Groppe said the audience is his favorite part of performing live.

“The best part about a thing like this is being able to interact with the crowd a little bit, especially in a smaller setting. It feels more intimate — having people three feet away from you is pretty cool,” Groppe said.

Siporin seemed proud of the event, and he said it was surreal. He has plans to continue the Tiny Desk Cuse series through the rest of the year, and he hopes to pass it onto another student after he graduates. For the rest of the year, though, he’s focused on getting more artists to play, with emphasis on artists who don’t usually do acoustic sets. Ultimately, Siporin wants to make a name for Tiny Desk Cuse.

“It would be my dream to fill this whole room,” Siporin said. “It starts with this. It starts with the 10 people that were here. I’m taking it one step at a time.”