Crime

SU student arrested for possession of firearm after report of gunshots on Euclid

Richard Perrins | Asst. News Editor

Numerous police cars were parked near the intersection of Euclid and Sumner avenues.

UPDATED: Oct. 26, 2021 at 8:01 p.m

Stephon Johnson, a 21-year-old student in the School of Education, was arrested by SPD, syracuse.com first reported on Saturday.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety confirmed in a campus-wide email on Saturday that the person who was arrested was an SU student. 

SPD saw Johnson discard the gun into the backyard of a home and found a holster matching the gun on him, according to syracuse.com. 

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety received a report at around 1:40 a.m. Saturday of gunshots on the 500 block of Euclid Avenue, the department said in a campus-wide email. 

SPD personnel at the scene confirmed to The Daily Orange that no one was hurt. SPD reportedly observed Johnson throw a handgun in the backyard of a home, and the weapon has since been secured by police.

Johnson was arrested on charges of second degree criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm — which are both felonies — and is being held at the Onondaga County Justice Center.

Johnson is currently also on interim suspension from the university. “More significant sanctions may be imposed following the outcome of a full investigation and a disciplinary hearing,” DPS said in the email.

Numerous police cars were parked near the intersection of Euclid and Sumner avenues at 1:45 a.m. Officers at the scene appeared to be wearing and carrying protective gear such as ballistic shields.

DPS asks anyone with information to contact the department at 315-443-2224.

This is a developing story. This post will be updated with additional reporting.