coronavirus

COVID-19 vaccines are coming to the Barnes Center this week

Will Fudge l Staff Photographer

The Barnes Center at The Arch will schedule student appointments as soon as the vaccine is available on campu.

Subscribe to our newsletter here.

Syracuse University expects to receive and administer doses of the COVID-19 vaccine later this week, according to a campus-wide email sent on Monday.

In early March, Vice Chancellor Mike Haynie, who has been leading SU’s COVID-19 response, said in a press conference that SU was “ready to be activated” as a vaccine distribution site and was waiting for approval from the state.

Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon said at a press conference Monday that SU will receive 1,500 vaccine doses this week. He said that county would also work with SUNY-ESF, Onondaga Community College and LeMoyne College to help vaccinate students who have not already been vaccinated.

According to the email sent by SU’s Public Health Team Monday, the Barnes Center at The Arch will schedule student appointments as soon as the vaccine is available on campus, starting with those who have pre-registered using an online form. Appointments will be scheduled via text and email.

Once students have been vaccinated on or off-campus, they can submit documentation through the Student Patient Portal to receive benefits that include exemption from required pre-entry testing to stadium events and from quarantine in the event of being a close contact to a confirmed positive case.