State

Biden calls for Cuomo resignation if investigation confirms allegations

The president also said he believes Cuomo will be prosecuted.

President Joe Biden has called for Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign should investigations prove allegations of sexual harassment against him. 

Three women, including two former aides in Cuomo’s administration, have come forward with sexual harassment allegations against the governor. Both New York State Attorney General Letita James and Assembly Speaker Carl Hastie are investigating the allegations. 

Biden said in an interview Tuesday that Cuomo should step down if the investigations confirm that the allegations against him are true. The president also said he believes Cuomo will be prosecuted, according to CNN

Biden previously said Sunday that he wanted to see what came of the investigations before stating whether he believed Cuomo should resign, according to CNN.

Biden also said in the interview that women who come forward should be “presumed telling the truth” and not be victimized. Women who come forward with such allegations are brave and should be taken seriously, Biden said. 

U.S. Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer of New York called for Cuomo to resign in a joint statement issued Friday. Several New York politicians have issued statements supporting the investigations into the allegations. 

If Cuomo were to step down, Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Syracuse University graduate, would take his place as governor.