Coronavirus

Some SU instructors eligible for COVID-19 vaccine as state alters guidelines

Emily Steinberger | Photo Editor

New York state began phase 1B of vaccine distribution Monday.

The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.

Syracuse University faculty and instructors teaching in-person classes during the spring semester are now eligible to receive the coronavirus vaccine, university officials announced Monday.

Under New York State Department of Health guidance, college and university faculty qualify as part of phase 1B of the vaccine distribution effort, SU officials said. New York state began phase 1B Monday.

Vaccines are administered and managed by the Onondaga County Department of Health. Eligible faculty and staff can register on the department’s website. Vaccine eligibility is based on several factors including workplace exposure and the availability of the vaccine supply, they said.  

“Be advised that New York State — not Syracuse University — makes all determinations related to vaccine eligibility,” the officials said. “The implementation of the New York State vaccination plan is inherently dynamic.”

The full list of departments and individuals included in phase 1B vaccine distribution: 

• Instructors and graduate assistants teaching in-person classes during the spring semester
  • Child Care Center and pre-school staff 
  • Department of Public Safety staff
  • Fire and life safety staff 
  • SU Ambulance and medical transport staff 
  • Parking and Transit Services staff
  • COVID-19 response and testing staff
  • Student teachers teaching in the local school district during the spring semester
  • Individuals 75-years-old and older