Field Hockey

Florine van Boetzelaer named ACC Offensive Player of the Week

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Florine van Boetzelaer, a freshman midfielder, scored two goals for Syracuse in its win against Duke last weekend.

The Atlantic Coast Conference has named Syracuse freshman Florine van Boetzelaer as Offensive Player of the Week following a two-goal performance in the Orange’s 4-3 win against Duke on Saturday. 

The first of van Boetzelaer’s two goals came off a rebounded shot in the opening quarter, tying the game at 1-1. The other, which Claire Cooke assisted with in the third quarter, gave SU a 3-2 lead. Junior Laura Graziosi would go on to score the winning goal in the final eight minutes of regulation.

The Orange were originally scheduled to play a two-game series against Boston College on Saturday and Sunday, but those games were postponed when a member of the Eagles tested positive for the coronavirus. Nine other BC players were subsequently sidelined due to contact tracing. SU Athletics has not specified when the games will be rescheduled.

Syracuse was also unable to play its two-game season opener series in September after team members came in contact with an unaffiliated individual who tested positive for COVID-19. To make up for the games, Syracuse played against Duke on Saturday at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex, a neutral site and the U.S. Women’s National Team’s training grounds.

Van Boetzelaer’s efforts led Syracuse (1-2, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) to its first win of the season, a week after it lost 1-0 to a last-minute goal at Virginia and 3-2 in double-overtime two days later.

Though it has yet to play its home-opener, Syracuse will head to North Carolina for three games in four days, one at UNC on Friday and two at Wake Forest on Sunday and Monday.