on campus

SU announces funding for 69 faculty hires

The three new clusters include Quantum Information Science, Citizenship and Democratic Institutions and Virtual and

Syracuse University has approved funding for 69 faculty positions to support academic research and collaboration.

The faculty hires are part of SU’s Cluster Hires Initiative, which places scholars with similar research interests into multidisciplinary groups, or clusters. SU approved 53 faculty positions across seven clusters in November 2018.

The approved funding will support 18 faculty positions within three new clusters as well as 51 additional positions within the existing seven clusters, according to an SU News release.

The new Quantum Information Science, Citizenship and Democratic Institutions and Virtual and Immersive Interactions clusters will bring in faculty from departments such as communications, human behavior, physics and the social sciences, according to the release.

“The addition of three more clusters to the original seven bolsters the University’s research enterprise and reaffirms its commitment to hire, develop and retain diverse faculty,” it said.

Central funds will cover 70% of the total hiring costs to incentivize the hiring of faculty from underrepresented backgrounds, according to the release. Nearly 150 faculty members signed a letter in November criticizing the initiative for deprioritizing the development of a diverse faculty.