SU Abroad

SU Abroad suspends field trips in Italy amid coronavirus outbreak

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

SU also strongly discourages students from independently traveling to any of the affected areas in Italy.

Syracuse University Abroad has suspended all student-life activities and field trips outside SU’s Florence Center amid the spread of the novel coronavirus in northern Italy.

The Italian Public Authorities suspended all school trips in the country shortly after the disease was reported to have spread outside of Asia, SU Abroad announced in an email to students Monday morning. 

Health officials believe the newly-discovered coronavirus originated in Wuhan City, China. The disease spreads through saliva and causes pneumonia-like symptoms, including fever and coughing.

As of Monday, Italy had over 200 confirmed cases of coronavirus and six deaths, making it the largest known outbreak of the respiratory disease outside of Asia, according to the Washington Post. 

“I understand that many of you will be disappointed that we may not go on all the trips we planned,” said Silvia Brandi, who works in SU Florence’s Field Studies Office, in the email. “Please know that this is an urgent matter of public health.”

SU also strongly discourages students from independently traveling to any of the affected areas in Italy, said Jessica Volpe, assistant director for student life at SU’s Florence program, in another email. 

A student at one of SU’s global partner schools in Australia tested positive for the coronavirus in January. The student, who attends University of New South Wales Sydney, was hospitalized and placed in isolation.

The university will continue monitoring the situation in northern Italy and update students on any changes to the situation, Brandi said.