#NotAgainSU

#NotAgainSU protesters struggle to deliver food, medical supplies

Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

Several supporters of the movement, including faculty and students, have attempted to bring food in for the students throughout Tuesday morning.

#NotAgainSU protesters outside Crouse-Hinds Hall have tried to deliver food and medicine to organizers inside since Tuesday morning. Department of Public Safety officers have prohibited supplies from entering the building.

The movement, led by Black students, began occupying Crouse-Hinds at noon on Monday. SU placed more than 30 organizers on interim suspension when they continued occupying the building’s lobby after the building closed at 9 p.m.

DPS sealed off the building as of Tuesday morning. #NotAgainSU organizers occupying Crouse-Hinds have not been allowed to receive outside food or medicine since the building closed.

“We have not eaten anything other than chips since yesterday afternoon,” one protester said in a statement at about 8 a.m.

SU administration gave organizers inside Crouse-Hinds one sandwich per person as of 1 p.m. They also dropped off dinner for the students Tuesday evening.

Jenn Jackson, an assistant professor of political science, arrived at the protest right before noon, accompanied by her children and several other faculty members. The group carried bags of food for the protesters in backpacks and grocery bags.

Jackson was told she’d be allowed to enter the building, but was denied access when she attempted to swipe in, she said. Only faculty, staff and students with swipe card access are able to enter Crouse-Hinds.

“This is the exact opposite of how the administration should be responding to students who are protesting on campus,” Jackson said.

Jackson was eventually allowed entrance into the building.

Organizers inside Crouse-Hinds can leave the building anytime to get food, and are free and encouraged to do so, said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, in a statement to The Daily Orange.

Around 3 p.m. Tuesday, students attempted to bring medicine into the building for protesters. They came with DayQuil and other medicinal and hygiene products, but SU administration refused to accept the products when they briefly opened the door.

A DPS officer later told organizers inside that the products were refused because SU had not authorized them. When organizers asked how they could receive medicine or other necessary products, DPS said they had to receive the products from an official medic, a protester said.

Protesters then called Syracuse medics and made a plan for them to bring medicine into the building, they said.

Syracuse medics were seen bringing a stretcher into Crouse-Hinds around 5 p.m. The medics were only able to bring in Advil for the students, as DPS did not allow the medics to bring in other medical products, they said.

“It was annoying, but we had to do it,” the protester said.

Blocking students from entering Crouse-Hinds is more disruptive than #NotAgainSU’s peaceful protest, said Amy Kallander, an associate professor of history in SU’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, who attended the protest on Tuesday.

“They have a right to stand up for what they believe in,” Kallander said.