#NotAgainSU discusses demands with Board of Trustees

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

The meeting was one of 20 that the Special Committee on University Climate, Diversity and Inclusion held this past week.

#NotAgainSU organizers hope that meeting with Syracuse University’s Board of Trustees led to an understanding of “the pattern of university inaction and systemic oppression,” the movement said Sunday.

The Black student-led movement met with the board Wednesday to discuss its demands and concerns in response to a series of hate crimes and bias incidents that have occurred at or near SU since early November.

“Though we appreciate the visit, it will be vain if the Board of Trustees does not take the action steps necessary to create the change needed here,” #NotAgainSU said in a statement to The Daily Orange.

The meeting was one of 20 that the Board of Trustees Special Committee on University Climate, Diversity and Inclusion held last week with student groups on campus. The special committee formed to review SU’s diversity and inclusion policies in light of the hate crimes and bias incidents.

Much of the conversation centered on #NotAgainSU’s response to the current campus climate and how the movement would advise the committee moving forward, said Larry Kramer, a trustee who attended the meeting.

An independent panel including several non-SU affiliates will visit the campus this week to continue gathering information. The committee plans to release a full report on SU’s diversity and inclusion policies in early June.