Tennis

Kim Hansen’s smooth transition helps SU to strong start

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

Even after Syracuse's first loss of the season, Kim Hansen remains undefeated.

Before coming to Syracuse University, Kim Hansen had won 28 singles matches and 33 doubles matches in her career. The Netherlands native began tennis when she was 4 years old, and went on to win the U12, U14 and U16 Dutch national championships.

Hansen’s lifelong success on the tennis court has carried over to the No. 25 Orange (6-1, 1-1 Atlantic Coast). The freshman went 5-2 in singles and 6-1 in doubles in the fall, and is currently 7-0 in singles play this spring. On Feb. 21’s match, she won both her singles and doubles contests, but SU lost its first tilt of 2020. 

But transitioning into American college life was difficult, Hansen said. All college athletes are forced to balance school, social life and sports. While the wins came on the court, Hansen struggled early with the added task of learning a foreign language and living six time zones away from her home. 

But it was her family, and specifically her sister, who inspired her to begin the sport that has caused her to move. As a child, the Nieuw-Vennep, Netherlands native would pick up tennis balls during her older sisters’ practices. A “big family person,” as assistant coach Jennifer Meredith called her, Hansen couldn’t stop smiling in the weeks leading up to her sisters visit over Thanksgiving.

“For, like, about four weeks, every day she’s like, ‘You know how many days until they come?’” said Meredith. “Just super excited, because that’s just how she is as a person.”

Eventually, Hansen put the on and off court transition period behind her. Coach Younes Limam said he wasn’t surprised with how well the freshman ended up transitioning, and  estimated Hansen finished her first semester with a 3.7 GPA. Now, Hansen feels “fully adjusted,” she said, and it shows.

She has yet to lose in spring singles play, and her wins have helped the Orange to a ranked, start to 2020.

“She’s doing super well, on and off the court,” said Miranda Ramirez, one of two captains on the team.

Hansen prefers to play fast-paced, she said. Her serve, aided by her 6-foot height, is a weapon that gets her free points through aces, she said, and something that has always been a big part of her game. Limam called it “technically sound,” with a “natural motion.”

Her “big game,” “big forehand” and well-rounded shot repertoire, according to Meredith, have translated with ease from her days dominating junior tournaments in the Netherlands. She has abnormally developed touch and feel, Meredith said, and she’s not afraid of being aggressive. Though Hansen is 3-3 in doubles play, she doesn’t shy away from adversity.  

“The biggest thing for me is I like to compete,” said Hansen. “I like it when things get tough.”

Ramirez said she’s been impressed with all three freshmen on the team, but Hansen’s maturity sticks out. Ramirez is one of two seniors on the team, and her graduation along with top singles player Guzal Yusupova will leave a void for Hansen to fill for the rest of her Syracuse career.

“We’re very excited,” Limam said. “We know that, for Kim, the sky is the limit.”