acts of hate

DPS investigates racist graffiti found in Day Hall stairway

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

There have been at least 25 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents at or near SU since Nov. 7

Racist graffiti targeting Black people was found Sunday in Day Hall, according to the Department of Public Safety. 

The graffiti was found in a stairway, DPS said in a bias incident report issued Monday. The department is actively investigating the incident. 

Day Hall has been the site of six reported incidents of racist graffiti since early November. At least 25 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents have occurred at or near Syracuse University since Nov. 7.

Day Hall’s fourth and sixth floors were vandalized with racist graffiti targeting Black and Asian people between Nov. 7 and Nov. 8. The N-word was written on a ceiling light, garbage cans and a mirror in the residence hall’s sixth-floor bathroom. 

Additional graffiti targeting Black and Asian people was found on Day Hall’s third, fifth and sixth floors between Nov. 14 and Nov. 21. Graffiti targeting Black and Asian people was also found Jan. 28 on the backside of a vending machine in the residence hall. 

The Day Hall vandalism sparked student protests on campus and Black student-led movement #NotAgainSU. The group held a sit-in at the Barnes Center at The Arch for eight days in protest of the racist incidents and the university’s response to them.