Fiji, ZBT placed under suspension, probation

ZBT is under probation through Dec. 31, 2020, according to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs’ website.

Syracuse University has suspended its chapter of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and placed its Zeta Beta Tau fraternity chapter under probation, a university spokesperson said Thursday.

The University Conduct Board suspended Phi Gamma Delta, or “Fiji,” after finding the fraternity had violated SU’s Code of Student Conduct, said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, in an email to The Daily Orange. The misconduct that lead to Fiji’s suspension is unclear. 

Fiji is no longer recognized at SU or allowed to operate on campus, Scalese said. The fraternity was previously under disciplinary probation until Oct. 6.

“The safety and well-being of our campus community is our paramount priority and any behavior contrary to our community standards will be met with appropriate action,” Scalese said.

Rob Caudill, executive director of Fiji’s international headquarters, did not immediately respond to a request for comment concerning the fraternity’s suspension at SU. 

ZBT is under disciplinary and social probation through Dec. 31, 2020, according to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs’ website. The misconduct leading to ZBT’s probation is also unclear. The fraternity was placed under investigative status in October and was under social probation until Dec. 31 for previous misconduct.

The fraternity completed the conduct process with the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, Scalese said.

ZBT was suspended in February after the University Conduct Board determined the fraternity had violated the student code of conduct. The chapter was previously placed under disciplinary probation in 2018 after a video surfaced of a fraternity member spitting into the mouth of a person lying on the floor while others yelled and laughed in the background. 

Libby Anderson, ZBT’s chief executive officer, also did not respond immediately to a request for comment. 

Marianne Thomson, associate vice president and dean of students, listed SU’s unrecognized Greek organizations in an email sent to parents Thursday afternoon, including Fiji. The FASA website was updated with Fiji’s unrecognized status and ZBT’s probation following Thomson’s email. 

SU’s chapter of the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity, which was suspended in November after members shouted a racial slur at a black woman, was not included in the list. The fraternity is unable to operate on campus, but wasn’t included in the email because it hasn’t completed the university’s conduct process, Scalese said. SU’s recognition of the fraternity depends on the results of that process, she said.