November Hate Crimes

Board of Trustees forms special committee, advisory panel on campus climate

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Both the panel and special committee will engage with students, faculty, staff and alumni through in-person meetings and surveys, said Kathleen Walters, Board of Trustees Chair, in a university-wide email Thursday morning.

Syracuse University’s Board of Trustees announced the creation of a special committee and independent panel Thursday to jointly address campus climate, diversity and inclusion.

The Board of Trustees Special Committee on University Climate, Diversity and Inclusion will evaluate SU’s current diversity and inclusion policies and recommend improvements, according to an SU News release. Trustees Richard Alexander and Jeffrey Scruggs will lead the committee. 

The Independent Advisory Panel consists of four members not affiliated with SU. Three of its members, including former Assistant U.S. Attorney General Karol Mason, have backgrounds in university administration and student leadership. Eric Fingerhut, president and CEO of The Jewish Federations of North America, will also serve on the panel. 

The special committee and Independent Advisory Panel were formed in response to student demands for the Board of Trustees to expand diversity efforts, according to the release.

“With the appointment of this expert panel and the formation of the special committee, the Board affirms its vision and commitment to build on the work that is already underway to foster a campus climate that is safe, diverse, inclusive and welcoming to everyone,” said Kathleen Walters, chair of SU’s Board of Trustees, in the release. 

#NotAgainSU, a black student-led movement protesting SU’s response to racist incidents, has demanded that the university create a platform for students to express their concerns directly to the trustees. In signing a revised list of the movement’s 19 demands, Chancellor Kent Syverud said he would urge the board to consider #NotAgainSU’s demand. 

Both the panel and special committee will engage with students, faculty, staff and alumni through in-person meetings and surveys, Walters said in a campus-wide email Thursday morning. 

Community feedback and consideration of existing programs at other higher education institutions will guide the recommendations of the panel and committee. 

The panel and special committee will produce reports during the spring semester and aim to complete all recommendations by the end of June 2020, according to the release. The university will continue to work toward implementing other student demands throughout the spring semester. 

The university also recently announced the creation of campus engagement committees, which will allow student representatives to provide input in the implementation of student demands.

“I look forward to the work of the Independent Advisory Panel and the special committee,” Syverud said in the release. “Our community lending its voice to this important work will be instrumental in creating a stronger Syracuse University for everyone.”