3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 68-54 loss to Iowa

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Elijah Hughes had a season-low 10 points against the Hawkeyes.

Syracuse (4-4, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) has now lost three-straight games, the most recent defeat a 68-54, slog to Iowa (6-2) in the Carrier Dome. The Hawkeyes rode a hot-shooting second half while the Orange cooled. Luka Garza led all scorers with 23 points, nine rebounds and two assists. Despite a better showing in the opening 20 minutes and an improved rebounding performance, SU’s offense faltered and the defense creaked. 

Here are three takeaways from the Carrier Dome after the loss. 

Starting hot 

Bucking an early-season trend, SU’s offense operated efficiently to start the contest. After facing big deficits last week in the Barclays Center, the Hawkeyes and Orange traded shots throughout the first half in the Dome. Syracuse connected on seven of its first 14 shots, including a range of two- and 3-point field goals. 

Quincy Guerrier muscled into the paint for four early points and Elijah Hughes connected on two of the Orange’s four first-half 3s. Operating in the half-court, off-ball screens freed shooters and the Marek Dolezaj-Bourama Sidibe combo converted the layups Iowa allowed by focusing on SU’s guards. In transition, Syracuse earned easy baskets feeding the paint, totaling 18 in the first half. Syracuse’s last lead, 26-25, came off a run in the first.

On one break, Guerrier sped by Jim Boeheim at mid-court while the 44-year-head coach extended his hands and said “slow, slow.” Guerrier turned and shoveled a pass to Hughes soon after, and the ensuing off-balance 3 popped the crowd. 

Board games 

Iowa entered with a clear rebounding advantage on paper. The 6-foot-11 Luka Garza (19.6 points per game, tops in the Big Ten) routinely posts double-doubles and SU’s forwards, Sidibe and Dolezaj, have dealt with either a cold or foul trouble in the losing-streak. In their three losses, the Orange averaged 29 rebounds. They reached that total midway through the second half on Tuesday night.  

It appeared that Hughes took a more authoritative role on the glass, at least initially. Instead of immediately boxing out, Hughes looked for the ball and then for an outlet. Paired with Guerrier for a large stretch of the first half, Hughes (seven rebounds) and Guerrier (seven) limited second-chance opportunities. Despite giving Garza four inches and 40 pounds, Guerrier hurled his frame into the painted area, earning a few round of applause from SU coaches. 

Sunk in the second 

To kickstart the Hawkeyes in the second, Garza shuffled to the corner and swished a 3 as the shot clock expired. It was the center’s first deep ball of the game, and it foreshadowed Iowa’s refocused offensive game plan. 

The visitors connected on five more 3s in the period, a few of which came at the end of possessions. In their first seven games, the Orange had a top-25 3-point field goal defense, holding opponents to 26.8% from deep. But Iowa’s 11 marked a new season-high allowed for SU, with Jordan Bohannon and Joe Wieskamp combining for eight. 

With four minutes left in the matchup, Bohannon netted a wing 3 with no white jersey within a few feet of him to send the Orange faithful into the crisp, 37 degree Syracuse evening.