November Hate Crimes

Syracuse police find no devices that received white supremacist manifesto so far

Daily Orange file photo

The white supremacist manifesto, written by the Christchurch, New Zealand mosque shooter, was also posted on Greekrank.com

The Syracuse Police Department has found no devices so far that received a white supremacist manifesto, which was allegedly AirDropped to students’ cellphones Monday night at Bird Library.

According to a campus-wide email from the Department of Public Safety early Tuesday morning, students at Bird Library said they were sent a manifesto written by the Christchurch, New Zealand mosque shooter. DPS said in the Tuesday announcement there was no specific threat to Syracuse University, and that no individual told authorities that they received the document. The incident remains under investigation by DPS, SPD and the FBI, according to a media release.

At a Wednesday night University Senate meeting, Chancellor Kent Syverud announced that the reports of the Airdropped manifesto were “probably a hoax.” However, a link to the 74-page document, which includes neo-Nazi symbols and anti-immigrant sentiments, was posted on a discussion board on Greekrank.com and hosted on an SU discussion page, per the media release. The manifesto was deleted about five hours after it was posted.

The white supremacist manifesto post and alleged Airdrop came during a slew of 16 racist and bias-related incidents targeting black, Asian and Jewish people that have been reported on and near campus since Nov. 7. #NotAgainSU, a black-led student movement, has been peacefully occupying The Barnes Center at the Arch since Nov. 13. 

On Thursday morning, Chancellor Kent Syverud said he had signed to agree to 16 of 19 demands from international students and #NotAgainSU protesters. By Thursday evening, he had also met with Jewish students and agreed to six demands proposed by them.