Greek life

What suspension means for Alpha Chi Rho, Greek life at SU

Corey Henry | Photo Editor The Daily Orange

There are 12 Greek organizations banned from operating on SU campus.

Editor’s note: This article contains details about the usage of racial slurs.

Syracuse University has suspended all fraternity social activities following Alpha Chi Rho’s involvement in a racist incident near College Place. Members and guests of the fraternity, known as “Crow,” yelled the N-word at a black woman Saturday night. 

Chancellor Kent Syverud said the suspension of social activities will allow all fraternities to “reflect upon how to prevent” more troubling behavior. There are only two weeks and two weekends left in the fall 2019 semester. 

At least 12 hate crimes and bias-related incidents have been reported on or near campus since Nov. 7. Black, Asian and Jewish people have been targeted in these incidents. Racial slurs have been yelled or written on walls. A swastika was etched in a snowbank off campus, and another was found in a dorm building. An anti-Semitic email was written to an SU professor.

What does suspension mean?

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs lists Crow as suspended, but it does not specify how long the sanction will last. SU can suspend Greek life organizations for violating the university’s Code of Student Conduct, which bans actions that threaten someone’s mental health, physical health or safety. Hazing and harassment are also prohibited. 

Suspended Greek life organizations are not allowed to operate at SU in any capacity. The university bans students and registered student organizations from affiliating with suspended or expelled Greek organizations. Involvement with such organizations can result in conduct sanctions. 

Crow is the only fraternity that SU has suspended since the beginning of the 2019-20 academic year. Alpha Tau Omega and Zeta Beta Tau have been on “investigative status” since at least Oct. 25. The alleged conduct violations of the ATO and ZBT chapters are unclear. 

A total of 12 Greek organizations cannot currently operate officially at SU, according to FASA. The university can extend a chapter’s suspension if it is found to be operating an “underground” organization. An organization with its recognition revoked can’t reapply for recognition for a minimum of four years.

How does this affect social activities?

Social activities have been suspended at all fraternities, regardless of council affiliation. Crow was in the Interfraternity Council before leaders of the council expelled the fraternity. Other councils include the National Pan-Hellenic Council, National Association of Latin Fraternal Organizations and the Multicultural Greek Council.

Social activities include registered and unregistered parties, date nights, dinner parties, tailgates, formals and dance parties, said Dean of Students Marianne Thomson in a campus-wide email sent Monday. Events co-hosted with fraternities are also banned for the rest of the semester.

Registered parties must meet numerous requirements outlined by FASA. Some of those include: a guest list from all participating chapters, wristbands to indicate students of drinking age and security throughout the event. They can only be hosted on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 

Sorority chapters cannot host parties. Drinking games, hard liquor and underage drinking are violations of FASA policy. The university may revoke the social privileges of a chapter that hosts unregistered events or violates social event policies. 

Recognized chapters, however, can still hold on-campus recruitment events, probate shows and educational speaking events, Thomson said. Probates are new member presentations usually associated with historically black fraternities and sororities in the NPHC. 

Greek organizations banned from operating on campus: