Opponent preview: What to know about Bucknell

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Elijah Hughes' 16.3 points per game leads the Syracuse offense through four games.

Syracuse (3-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) is riding its first winning streak of the season as it welcomes Bucknell (2-3) on Saturday. It’ll be the first time in eight years that the Bison will enter the Carrier Dome, and SU’s last game before the NIT Tip-Off moves to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. 

Here’s what to know about the Orange’s matchup against the Bison.

Gambling Odds: As of Friday evening, Syracuse is 13.5-point favorite, with an over/under of 135, according to Pinnacle.

All-time series: Syracuse leads 9-1

The Bucknell report: The Bison have lost back-to-back games on the road, souring a 2-1 start. Canisius outlasted Bucknell 83-81 in Buffalo on Nov. 16, and three days later Penn State blew past the Bison, 98-70. Five players are averaging double-digit points, though. John Meeks (13.6 points per game) leads the group, with Jimmy Sotos (12.0) and senior forward Bruce Moore (11.2) rounding out the top three. 

Bucknell is ranked 143rd in adjusted offensive efficiency, while their defense is 158th, per KenPom. The visitors will enter averaging more points per game than the Orange (73.6-66.3) and shoot the 3-ball better, too (38.5%-32.3%). 

The biggest threat to Syracuse will be Meeks. The junior center is used on more than 28% of possessions and has made eight 3-pointers over five games. He also places second on the Bison in rebounding (4.8). He does all of this off the bench, with Paul Newman starting at the 5 and hauling more than eight rebounds a contest. 

How Syracuse beats Cornell: Syracuse beats Bucknell like it’s beaten the rest of its nonconference games: Out-shoot them. SU has relied on the 3 this season and Saturday will be no different. While Bucknell holds opponents to a 26.7% 3-point clip, that number is slightly inflated after Fairfield shot 2-for-12 on Nov. 5. In their last three games, the Bison have allowed 3-point totals of six, six and five. The Orange should be able to get their looks from behind the arc like they have all season. The key will be making them and not following up a lackluster shooting performance with a worse one. 

It bodes well for Syracuse that Bucknell will likely be shooting primarily from deep. The Bison offense sees 40.8% of its points come from beyond the arc, good for 26th in the nation. In its most-used rotation over the last three games, Bucknell is able to place four shooters on the floor that can make 3s above a 40% rate. Expect the shots to fly through the Dome and whoever makes the most should take the victory.

Stat to know: 62.8% — The percentage of points scored against Bucknell that come from inside the paint. The Bison’s have been able to limit the 3-pointer through 5 games. 

KenPom odds: Syracuse has been given a 87% chance to win. The projected final score is a 73-61 SU win.

Player to watch: Sotos, guard, No. 4

The junior from Elk Grove Village, Illinois, is Bucknell’s most-frequent shooter. He leads the team in attempts (29) and makes (12) through five games, while posting the fourth-best percentage (41.4). Sotos also leads the Bison in average minutes per game and will be an active member of a defense limiting SU’s own 3-point attack.