November Hate Crimes

No updates in swastika investigation, SPD says

The swastika was visible from the top floor of the of 505 on Walnut, a student apartment complex.

The Syracuse Police Department has no update in its investigation of a swastika etched in a snowbank near Syracuse University, a police spokesperson said around noon on Friday.

The swastika was found Thursday afternoon on the 100 block of Comstock Avenue, which is across the street from the 505 on Walnut apartment complex. A student saw the anti-Semitic symbol from his apartment at about 4 p.m. An SPD officer arrived at the scene at about 5 p.m. Another officer took a photo of the swastika and cleared the snowbank by 5:24 p.m. 

“With something like this, to have the community’s help will be a huge benefit in trying to solve it,” said Sgt. Matthew Malinowski. He encouraged people to call SPD if they have any information relating to the investigation. 

Temple Concord, a Jewish synagogue, and SU’s Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life are located about two blocks from where the swastika was drawn. 

Malinowski said he didn’t know if the swastika was a targeted attack against the Jewish community. 

“We don’t know the motivation so I’d have to say that’s kind of unknown,” Malinowski said. “The person could’ve been doing this as a joke.”

90f3baad-d6c1-476b-adc0-b74054150e0a-2

The swastika was drawn in a snowbank on the 100 block of Comstock Avenue.

Five documented racist, anti-semitic or bias-related incidents have occurred on or near SU since Wednesday. Racist slurs against black and Asian people were found on two floors of Day Hall in the past week. Racist graffiti directed toward Asian people was found in the Physics Building and on another floor of Day Hall on Wednesday night and Thursday night, respectively. 

It is unclear whether the swastika is an escalation of violence following the written racial slurs. Malinowski said he couldn’t speak to whether the racist graffiti is connected to the swastika.

Joseph Commisso, another SPD spokesperson, said the investigation was in its early stages as of 8:30 p.m. on Thursday. Malinowski said he wasn’t sure whether the department will know more information later Friday evening. 

Keith Alford, SU’s chief diversity and inclusion officer, said SPD is “actively investigating” the case in a campus-wide email sent Thursday afternoon.

I join everyone in our community in vehemently condemning this vile behavior targeting the Jewish faith,” Alford said.