on campus

DPS announces incidents involving minors in SU area over weekend

Bridget Williams | Staff Photographer

In both incidents the perpetrators were immediately apprehended, according to DPS. 

Two incidents involving perpetrators identified as minors occurred Sunday in areas surrounding Syracuse University, the Department of Public Safety announced in two Wednesday emails.

The first incident took place around 3:15 a.m. on Ostrom Avenue, where a SU student was knocked to the ground and kicked in the head. A second incident involved an individual with no affiliation to SU who was robbed while walking in Oakwood Cemetery around 5:30 p.m.

“(DPS) is reminding our campus community of important tools and strategies,” the department said in one of the campus-wide emails. “This reminder follows two incidents that occurred last weekend.”

The SU student was walking in the 700 block of Ostrom Avenue when a female suspect — one of three involved in the incident — confronted the student. The student, who sustained a facial injury, reported the incident to DPS. The suspects were identified as minors, and they have been released to their homes.

The robbery in Oakwood Cemetery involved three male suspects. One of the suspects appeared to display a firearm. All three suspects were taken into custody by the Syracuse Police Department and charged with robbery. No injuries were reported in the incident.

The perpetrators were immediately apprehended in both incidents.

DPS also suggested tools and strategies that students, faculty and staff can use to facilitate a safe environment at SU in the two emails.

People shouldn’t walk alone at night, and instead should walk in groups and be aware of their surroundings. DPS provides walking escorts for neighborhoods around SU who are located along Euclid Avenue, Walnut Park and Marshall Street. The program is available daily from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Escorts wear bright orange jackets or vests.

SU also recently expanded its shuttle services to include three shuttles and five additional drivers. The expanded program is focused on decreasing the wait time for people using the service in the late evening and early morning. The shuttle service runs seven days a week between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.

Shuttles are available to pick students up and drop them off at places on and around campus. The rides are free for students if they use their SUID.

Here are some other safety tips provided by DPS:

• People should report any suspicious activity to DPS or SPD.
  • Downloading the LiveSafe app allows people to call DPS or 911 in the event of an emergency and report tips through the apps. People can also share their location with friends.
  • People can sign up to receive Orange Alerts, which notifies the SU campus of immediate threats.