crime

Multiple larcenies occur on, near SU campus over summer

Three larcenies and one attempted larceny occurred Thursday.

Multiple larcenies occurred on and near Syracuse University campus during summer break.

University Hill saw more than 20 larcenies, or thefts, since June 19, according to the Department of Public Safety’s crime logs. Larcenies are the most common crime on college campuses and occur more often at the start of a new school year, DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado told The Daily Orange.

Three larcenies and one attempted larceny occurred near Main Campus on Thursday, according to the crime logs. Maldonado said larcenies happen most often near SU due to the higher concentration of students.

“Students just get here, and they’re not really paying close attention to their belongings or they’re leaving their car doors open,” Maldonado said.

Here is a look at where larcenies, defined as theft of personal property, occurred near SU during summer and at the start of the year:

The number of thefts during the summer tend to drop as students are away from campus, Maldonado said. An individual Maldonado dubbed a “professional thief” committed a string of larcenies near campus at the start of August.

“We’re happy to say that one of our detectives and one of our officers made an arrest last week of someone who was responsible for a lot of the larcenies,” he said.

DPS turned the alleged thief over to the Syracuse Police Department. Maldonado said these larcenies were an “aberration.” He did not specify the number of larcenies the individual was responsible for.

Maldonado said the most common items stolen are small electronics and bicycles. He said students should lock all doors when leaving residence halls and apartments, secure electronics and get a U-bolt lock for bikes.

“Sometimes students feel comfortable leaving things out on a table at a library or on top of a dresser in an open dorm in a residence hall,” Maldonado said. “Students should lock up their belongings even if they have to go to the restroom, because sometimes things disappear.”