Moderate Column

Annual sexual assault prevention training would benefit students

Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

Campus resources can help spread sexual assault prevention for students.

In July, Syracuse University released a statement confirming that a student accused of rape in New Jersey in 2017 no longer attends the university. The case sparked mass media attention after the presiding judge’s decision to grant the student leniency was overturned by a division of the New Jersey Superior Court in June.

Syracuse University already offers a number of resources and training programs related to sexual misconduct for its students and staff, but the school should implement mandatory, yearly education for all students about sexual assault prevention.

Anthony D’Angelo, an SU public relations professor, believes that shocking events like this one can be a catalyst for change in an organization.

“A call to action can come from everywhere, including a situation that causes outrage,” he said.

Currently, the school requires that all first-year students attend “Speak About It,” a presentation that discusses sexual violence and consent during Welcome Week. They must also complete an EVERFI online training module about sexual assault prevention.

The Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion, and Resolution Services (OEOIRS) also offers a variety of sexual assault prevention training seminars available to staff, faculty and students. They can be requested specifically by professors, sports teams or clubs.

But these programs are not mandatory for every single student. A comprehensive program for students to participate in every academic year would be beneficial.

Educating students about sexual assault prevention on a yearly basis instead of just once would offer the opportunity to present multiple perspectives related to the issue. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests promoting social norms that deter sexual violence and encouraging women’s empowerment.

“[Education] is a key to prevention,” said Christina Percoski, a training and development specialist in the university’s OEOIRS. “It is important to make sure there is shared understanding of what affirmative consent is and what healthy relationships look like.”

Implementing yearly education about sexual assault prevention would not only help students on an individual level, but make Syracuse a safer place to live and study.

Lauren Spiezia is a sophomore double majoring in journalism and political science. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].