Khalid to headline Block Party 2019

Courtesy of University Union

Khalid, a Grammy-nominated artist, is set to headline Block Party 2019, University Union announced Tuesday.

Singer/songwriter Khalid is set to headline Block Party 2019, featuring opening acts Rico Nasty and Kenny Beats, University Union announced Tuesday night. 

The concert will take place in the Carrier Dome on April 26 with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. Pre-sale tickets for full-time Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF students go on sale Wednesday at noon. 

Pre-sale tickets are $25 for general admission floor access and $20 for first level general admission, second and third level reserved seating on sale through April 14, per UU. A valid student ID is needed for purchase and tickets will be available for purchase online. Public sales will open April 15 at noon for $30 reserved seating. 

Khalid, a Grammy-nominated artist whose full name is Khalid Donnel Robinson, first gained world prominence after the release of his 2017 single, “Location.” Following the single’s success, Khalid was signed to record label Right Hand Music Group/RCA Records before the release of his debut album, double-platinum certified, “American Teen.” The debut album peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Top 200 Chart and stayed on it for 51 weeks. 

Since then, Khalid has collaborated on songs like “Rollin” by Calvin Harris featuring rapper Future, as well as Shawn Mendes’ “Youth,” among others. His latest single, “Talk,” premiered in February in anticipation of his sophomore album, “Free Spirit,” which dropped last Friday. 

The 21-year-old rapper Rico Nasty first hit the music scene after a string of songs became viral in 2016, including “iCarly” and “Hey Arnold.” In 2017, Rico Nasty gained more mainstream popularity after her song “Poppin” was featured on HBO’s comedy-drama, “Insecure.” That same year, she also collaborated with Lil Yachty on his song, “Mamacita” for the soundtrack of the film “The Fate of the Furious.” 

Rico Nasty is currently signed with Atlantic Records, the record company that released her 2018 album, “Nasty,” which includes songs “In The Air” featuring BlocBoy JB and “Countin’ Up.” 

Kenny Beats is a hiphop producer who has worked with artists such as Ski Mask the Slump God and Rico Nasty. Collaborating with Rico Nasty on her “Nasty” album, Beats helped produce two of her biggest singles, “Rage” and “Trust issues.” He has worked on a variety of hiphop and rap projects in 2018, producing for A Boogie wit da Hoodie, J.I.D and Vince Staples. 

In order to get student ticket prices, students place their student ID by clicking the “Got an Offer Code?” option online. Buyers must present their student ID at the Carrier Dome’s Gate N in order to pick up tickets from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on April 17 through April 19.  

Students are limited to two student-priced tickets per person. Student tickets will be available for purchase online via MyCuse, while general admission tickets will be sold on Ticketmaster. General public tickets can be accessed via print, mail or e-ticket delivery methods, per UU.