6 Newhouse students to attend TIME 100 Summit

Jennifer Grygiel, a professor of communications, partnered with Time to create the “Rising Stars” program that identifies next generation leaders.  

Six Syracuse University students will attend a Time magazine summit on Tuesday with some of the world’s “The 100 Most Influential People.”

All six students are in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. The Time 100 Summit features leaders in various areas, from former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi to Apple CEO Tim Cook and model-turned-entrepreneur Tyra Banks.

Kenyona Chaney, a junior public relations major, said she is excited at the possibility of meeting Banks and Lee Daniels, co-creator and executive producer of the hit TV show “Empire.” Chaney has always looked up to Banks and Daniels as people who have made a difference in their communities, she said.

a3_courtesy_embed3

Kenyona Chaney said she looks up to Tyra Banks and Lee Daniels as people who made a difference in their communities. Courtesy of Kenyona Chaney

Chaney participates in Syracuse’s chapter of the NAACP and volunteers for SU’s Juvenile Urban Multicultural Program Nation. JUMP Nation mentors students in junior high schools across Syracuse to help them succeed in high school and encourage them to enroll in college.

“I’m very passionate about it, and I really do care about the children and the impact that I can have while at SU,” she said.

The six students are attending the summit through SU’s “Rising Stars” program, which looks for next generation leaders. Jennifer Grygiel, an assistant professor of communications at SU, partnered with Time to launch the program.

Dakota Chambers, a freshman television, radio and film major, said she is looking forward to learning leadership skills from speakers at the summit.

a3_courtesy_dom1-_embed

Dakota Chambers said she hopes to improve her networking skills at the summit. Courtesy of Dakota Chambers

“Especially as a freshman, the opportunity to get in front of and hear so many world leaders speak is just incredible to me, and I still can’t really process it,” she said.

Chambers also said she has social anxiety at times and hopes to improve her networking skills at the summit.

Engy Adham, a graduate student studying television, radio and film, said she is interested in meeting journalists at the summit.

a3_courtesy_embed2

Engy Adham said she is excited to connect with people and meet journalists at the summit. Courtesy of Engy Adham

“I’m going to meet these people I read about in the news,” Adham said. “I’m excited to connect with people and be able to introduce myself and talk one-on-one.”

Adham previously worked at the Daily News Egypt. Her journalism class projects have focused on immigrant communities in the city of Syracuse.

Rashika Jaipuriar, a senior studying broadcast and digital journalism and citizenship and civic engagement, said she is grateful to finish out her college career by attending the summit.

a3_courtesy_embed4

Rashika Jaipuriar said that her family is passionate about the news. Courtesy of Rashika Jaipuriar

Jaipuriar has volunteered with the Court Appointed Special Advocates program, which helps children navigate challenges in the foster care system. Her senior capstone for her citizenship and civic engagement major involved working with the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization to help find male mentors.

“My family has always been very passionate about the news and has been very socially conscious,” she said. “We’ve always had the TV on in our house and we’ve always had Time magazine out on the table.”