Moderate Column

Women’s March leaders’ comments do not represent organization as a whole

Bridget Slomian | Presentation Director

Protestors in more than 300 cities in total participated in the third annual Women’s March.

On Jan. 19, thousands of protestors in Washington, D.C. and in more than 300 cities in total participated in the third annual Women’s March. Just before this year’s march, though, media outlets reported that leaders of Women’s March, Inc., a group that formed before the first march in 2017, allegedly made anti-Semitic remarks during a planning meeting in November 2016.

The comments were allegedly made by Tamika Mallory and Carmen Perez, two of the organization’s four board members. Both women have denied the reports, but the controversy has caused some progressive groups, including the Southern Poverty Law Center — a national civil rights advocacy organization — to dissociate themselves from Women’s March, Inc.

The allegations, while represent extreme discrimination, do not represent the organization, Women’s March, Inc., as a whole. In this situation, the group’s leaders are solely at fault, and the true goals of the Women’s March should not be overshadowed nor muddled by this problem.

Voices of a few powerful people should not drown out the thousands of other activists determined to defend women’s rights.

The explicit mission statement of Women’s March, Inc. is centered around inclusion, uniting diverse communities, promoting education and engagement and fostering respect. Its platform encompass a variety of issues including gender equality, reproductive rights, rights for immigrants, rights for people with disabilities and fighting gun violence.

02032019_womensmarch_molly_gibbs_pe

Molly Gibbs | Photo Editor

Nada Odeh, one of the organizers of the 2019 Women’s March in Syracuse, said the march overall is, “… a thing that unites the community, so that hate said about anyone based on their race or anything else is unaccepted.”

The Women’s March has been rightfully accredited with putting intersectional feminism — the belief that women’s equality is achieved through justice for other marginalized groups in society — on the public agenda. By doing this, there has been a massive push to support black and LGBTQ rights within the movement, as well as in mainstream politics.

The foundation of the movement is built on positive themes of social change and inclusion of all people — supporters of the organization have these principles to live by and demonstrate, regardless of statements made by Mallory and Perez.

Odeh said she believes that the movement stresses inclusion for all people.

If the entire movement was condemned solely based on the actions of two people, we would delegitimize the movement and take power away from supporters of the women’s rights movement.

The leaders of local marches have taken on the mission of the Women’s March and the call for activism in stride, focusing on problems in their own local communities.

Odeh said her planning team for the Syracuse march had a discussion about whether or not to cancel the march amid the allegations.

“We’re not connected to them (Women’s March Inc.) directly, we just share the name … We decided we should not stop, and we wanted this march to reflect all religions and ethnic groups in Syracuse,” Odeh said.

The major social change that the Women’s March has spurred in the United States proves that the movement is a force to be reckoned with, and its work will not be overshadowed by two individuals.

Lauren Spiezia is a freshman newspaper and online journalism major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].