Black History Month 2019

A look back at Frederick Douglass’ influence, appearances in Syracuse

Zach Krahmer | Contributing Photographer

In Rochester stands a statue of Frederick Douglass, a prominent abolitionist who delivered a lecture on slavery in Syracuse in August 1850.

Frederick Douglass grew up as a slave named Frederick Bailey, separated at birth from his mother. He became a prominent American abolitionist and author, regarded as one of the most articulate orators of the 19th century. Look no further than his speeches in Syracuse, where he advocated for justice, equality and the abolition of slavery.

Growing up, state laws banned him from being educated, but he was taught the alphabet at a young age. He escaped slavery at 20 years old and fled to New York City. In his biography years later, he wrote of the time: “A new world has opened upon me. Anguish and grief, like darkness and rain, may be depicted, but gladness and joy, like the rainbow, defy the skill of pen or pencil.”

Around 1843, he moved to Rochester, where he started an abolitionist newspaper, The North Star, and rose as a civil rights leader. He made his first appearance in Syracuse in 1843, speaking at Fayette Park in front of a few hundred people, according to Syracuse University Archives. February marks Black History Month, and Douglass is regarded as one of the most influential African-Americans in the anti-slavery movement.

Carol Faulkner, associate dean and professor of history at SU, said Douglass became a key figure in central New York’s ascension as a center for abolitionist movements and women’s rights. By advocating for both causes, he connected them.

Harriet Tubman, another prominent anti-slavery figure in the Syracuse, was born enslaved. She was not allowed to learn to read or write. In a way, she complimented Douglass because they were both African-Americans, Faulkner said, but they were different genders in an age of massive gender inequality.

In some ways, Faulkner said, what each did was representative of their gender. He was a newspaper man who later worked for the government, while she ran a home for senior citizens.

“She was illiterate. Douglass was hyper-literate,” Faulkner said. “He was one of the most eloquent speakers and writers of his time. He modeled freedom and equality in a much different way than Harriet Tubman was able to … While she was an activist, it was a much different career.”

Douglass returned to Syracuse many times as an abolitionist speaker, capturing audiences at halls, parks and small rooms alike. At one Syracuse abolitionist rally, he urged the importance of a “free man,” according to SU Archives. He visited Syracuse in March 1863 to help recruit local men to serve in the 54th Massachusetts, the first United States regiment of African-Americans recruited in the North. This was made possible by the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.

In 1863, after the Emancipation, Douglass said: “The arm of the slave is the best defense against the arm of the slaveholder,” per SU Archives. During other speeches, he advocated for the emancipation of slaves, their role as soldiers and ways in which the Civil War could be ended.

“In order to have a Union,” Douglass said in a 1861 visit to Syracuse, “we must have unity of idea, unity of purpose, unity of interest.”

In Syracuse, Douglass also implored what literature did for his life, and how it can change movements. His paper’s motto was “Right is of no Sex—Truth is of no Color—God is the Father of us all, and we are all Brethren.”

While the paper is among Douglass’ ties to New York state, he made other visits to Syracuse, speaking at Shakespeare Hall, Wieting Hall and multiple churches. On Aug. 20, 1850, Douglass lectured on slavery at Syracuse City Hall.

His other appearances focused on justices and human rights. In 1851, Douglass announced at a meeting in Syracuse that he did not assume the Constitution was a pro-slavery document. He said it could “be wielded in behalf of emancipation,” especially where the federal government had exclusive jurisdiction.

This summer, Syracuse honored his legacy: A bridge over South Salina Street became a mural of Martin Luther King Jr. and Douglass, who is painted on one side of the wall. The painter, London Dadd, said his goal was simple:

“To honor one of the greatest African-Americans of all time.”