Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter announces support for I-81 grid replacement

Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter said she supports the community grid replacement to Interstate 81 in a Friday statement.

New York Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter said she supports the community grid replacement option for Syracuse’s crumbling Interstate 81 viaduct in a statement released on Friday.

Hunter said the grid is the least disruptive choice. The others two options, a complete rebuild of the viaduct or a tunnel, would involve years of “intrusive construction,” per the release. Hunter’s district covers portions of Syracuse as well as the towns of DeWitt, Salina and Onondaga.

She said land reclaimed from the viaduct will help improve the city tax base. The grid would seize also less private property than the other two options, she said.

It is clear to me now that our citizens must be more united behind an option if we are to have any influence with the state decision makers,” Hunter said. “I support the community grid alternative because I believe it will benefit our residents, and our region, the most.”

Debate over how to replace the interstate has persisted for more than a decade. The New York State Department of Transportation is currently creating a Draft Environmental Impact Statement to determine the possible effects of each option.

The viaduct rebuild is expected to cost around $1.7 billion, while the grid would cost about $1.3 billion, according to state data.

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh has publicly announced his support for the community grid. He and other Syracuse officials, business owners and activists signed a letter to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo in support of the grid.  

The Onondaga County Supervisors and Mayors’ associations sent a December press release in support of a viaduct reconstruction or hybrid tunnel approach. At a town hall with Rep. John Katko (R-Camillus) last week, Syracuse and Onondaga County residents gave arguments as to what options they believed was the best.

The debate over the future of I-81 has dragged on for years and it’s become increasingly clear that a community consensus just isn’t possible,” Hunter said. “However, the time for debate and discussion is over ­– now we must take action.”