Tennis

No. 24 Syracuse upsets No. 9 Michigan, 4-2

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Miranda Ramirez and Gabriella Knutson won their doubles match, 6-3.

Against its first ranked opponent this year, No. 24 Syracuse (3-0) pulled off a huge upset, beating No. 9 Michigan (0-1) 4-2 in Oxford, Mississippi for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend tournament.

The match was highlighted by big performances from Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez. The pair won their doubles match 6-3, as did Sofya Golubovskaya and Sofya Treshcheva, giving Syracuse the first point of the match. In singles play, No. 43 Knutson was tasked with facing No. 3 Kate Fahey. Knutson won in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Ramirez faced No. 36 Chiara Lommer and won in three sets, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. But the match remained close thanks to Michigan’s No. 27 Brienne Minor and No. 65 Giulia Pairone. Minor defeated Golubovskaya in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6, and Pairone took care of Guzal Yusupova 6-2, 6-3.

It ultimately came down to Dina Hegab and Alyvia Jones’ match. Hegab dropped the first set 6-3, but won the second 6-4. In the third set, she came up clutch, rattling off a 6-0 win to clinch the match for the Orange. Treshcheva, up 5-4 in her third set, did not finish her match after Hegab’s victory.

Syracuse will look to carry the momentum into tomorrow’s matchup with Purdue at 3 p.m. The Boilermakers took down No. 12 Ole Miss earlier in the day.