on campus

SU Disability Cultural Center director steps down

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Diane Wiener has served as director of the Disability Cultural Center since the center was established in 2011.

UPDATED: Dec. 15, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.

Diane Wiener will step down as director of the Disability Cultural Center in January as she takes on a new role at the Burton Blatt Institute, according to a Friday Syracuse University News release.

Huey Hsiao, associate director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, will serve as interim director of the DCC until a permanent director is appointed, per Friday’s release. Hsiao has worked at OMA since 2011.

Hsiao currently directs the office’s mentoring programs and hosts programs focused on identity, privilege, intersectionality and cultural awareness, per the release. He also plans SU’s celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, according to the release.  

Wiener has worked closely with Hsiao for years, she said in an email.

“He is professional, engaged, and open-minded,” Wiener said. “His understanding of intercultural principles and his commitment to equity and inclusion are strong and consistent.”   

Wiener has led the DCC since its creation in 2011. She will work as research professor and associate director of BBI’s new Office of Interdisciplinary Programs and Outreach, per the release. The mission of the office is to create educational programs, research and teaching methods that focus on “disability justice, identities, cultures and studies,” according to a November SU News release.

“I’m honored and delighted to have been (the DCC’s) inaugural or founding director,” she said. “I’m also excited about and honored by the opportunities afforded by my new role in BBI.”

Wiener said the DCC and BBI will have a strong partnership moving forward.

Steve Kuusisto, a poet and professor of disability studies at SU, will lead the interdisciplinary office in the BBI, according to the November release. The office will engage with students, faculty, staff and alumni, per the release.

This post has been updated with additional reporting.