Memorial service to be held Thursday to commemorate Kermit Lee, former emeritus professor of architecture

Courtesy of Taylor Wood

A memorial for Kermit J. Lee, Jr., a former professor emeritus of architecture at SU, will be held this Thursday, Oct. 18.

A memorial service for Kermit J. Lee, Jr., will be held this week.

Lee, who passed away in January of this year, was an emeritus professor of architecture at SU’s School of Architecture. He will be memorialized at a campus service on Thursday, Oct. 18 from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in Slocum Hall. The memorial celebration will include speeches from Lee’s family, along with former colleagues and students. The service will also feature an exhibition of Lee’s artwork from his career.

He will be recognized for his accomplishments as both an artist and an architect and honored for his impact on the university community. As the first black graduate of the School of Architecture, Lee’s vision and persistence opened up newfound opportunities for generations of students to come.

Lee served as a faculty member at SU from 1967 until he retired in 1994 after suffering a stroke, but that in no way lessened his love of art or his influence at Syracuse. Taylor Wood, the assistant dean for advancement at the School of Architecture, said Lee was “remarkably” able to continue producing art after his stroke left the right side of his body paralyzed. Instead of giving up on his artwork, he taught himself to paint using his left hand.

Though the field of architecture is demanding, Wood said that Lee was passionate about his work and made sure to instill his love for the discipline in his students. Lawrence Davis, an associate professor of architecture, said Lee contributed to the cultivation of a “culture of very high standards” — a culture that the School of Architecture is still known for today.

The architecture major is rigorous and students often face critiques on their projects. However, Wood said Lee aimed to “lift up” students after critical reviews and encourage them to stay in the program.

Wood said Lee had a large impact not only on many of his students, but his colleagues, as well. Randall Korman, also a professor of architecture, will serve as master of ceremonies for the event and will deliver a speech honoring his colleague. Other speakers at the event will include Lee’s daughter, Karin George, and Colline Hernandez-Ayala, a School of Architecture graduate who was close to Lee. Patrick Ahearn, a member of Syracuse University’s Board of Trustees who Lee had a “profound impact” on, according to Wood, will be in attendance.

Wood said he hopes the program will present a fitting representation of Lee’s life, as it includes words from his colleagues, friends and family. Davis said that memorial events such as Lee’s for professors at the university are somewhat rare, which demonstrates the “high level of respect and appreciation” that Lee has earned at SU.

But Lee’s legacy will live on long after Thursday’s ceremony ends. The Kermit J. Lee, Jr. Endowed Scholarship Fund — created by the School of Architecture to fund the education of students in their third year or beyond at SU — was created to help further guide future architects to their career aspirations. While the fund has received donations since its establishment in 1996, Wood said this is the first year it will be awarded to students.

The scholarship requires a minimum 2.7 GPA, which is significantly lower than most scholarships at the school. Wood said Lee wasn’t concerned about his students’ grades — he was interested in their “professional promise” and artistic talent.

In his absence, the scholarship will be a way to carry on Lee’s legacy and his focus on students’ artistic abilities, rather than their grades, and encourage them to continue to work their hardest despite any obstacles thrown their way.