SU professor appointed interim chief diversity officer

Courtesy of SU News

Keith Alford currently serves as the chair of the School of Social Work in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

Syracuse University professor Keith Alford will serve as the university’s interim chief diversity officer until it appoints a permanent CDO, SU announced Thursday.

Chancellor Kent Syverud appointed Alford to oversee SU’s diversity and inclusion efforts, per an SU News release. Alford currently serves as the chair of the School of Social Work in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

As interim chief diversity officer, Alford will serve on both the Chancellor’s Executive Team and the Diversity and Inclusion Council, per the release. He will report directly to Syverud, providing oversight on SU’s services, programs, policies and procedures related to diversity and inclusion.

In 2016, the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion recommended the position be created to improve SU’s diversity initiatives.

The Diversity and Inclusion Council was created in 2016 as one of the workgroup’s short-term recommendations. Made up of students, faculty and administrators, the council advises Syverud on matters of diversity and inclusion.

Alford will also help in the search for a permanent chief diversity officer, per the release. The university hasn’t yet announced a deadline for the search.