Theta Tau

Conduct hearings for students involved in the Theta Tau videos ongoing as of Thursday afternoon

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud provided updates on the Theta Tau hearings in a campus-wide email on Thursday.

UPDATED: July 16, 2018 at 9:15 p.m.

The hearings that began Wednesday for 16 students facing conduct violations in connection to the Theta Tau videos are still ongoing, said Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud in a campus-wide email on Thursday afternoon.

SU filed complaints against 18 students present at the event depicted in the Theta Tau videos in April. Two of those students have already accepted university-proposed punishments, per the email. The details of those sanctions are unclear.

Sarah Scalese, SU’s associate vice president for university communications, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story.

The University Conduct Board will issue decisions for the other 16 students after hearings finish. None of the 18 students will participate in commencement or other commencement-related activities.

SU permanently expelled the Theta Tau fraternity in April after it confirmed the organization was involved in the creation of videos Syverud called “racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities.” In a statement on its website, Theta Tau called the videos a “satirical sketch.”

College of Engineering and Computer Science inclusivity updates

In the Thursday email, Syverud also announced that the College of Engineering and Computer Science will create an Office of Inclusive Excellence this summer to “enhance the culture of diversity, inclusion and equity.” College leaders will also participate in an inclusive leadership academy in July and August.

First year forum revisions

The first year forum, an introductory course for new SU students, will undergo revisions for the fall 2018 semester. The new forum will offer a consistent curriculum across all schools and colleges that will focus on “ethics and integrity, and diversity and inclusion, Syverud said. Details on community engagement in the design of the forum will be announced by June 15, he added.

Disability audit

The Disability Audit Steering Committee met on May 4 to discuss the scope of a university-wide disability audit. Request for Proposals are expected to be distributed within two weeks, per the email. An RFP is used to solicit bids from companies willing to complete specific projects.

Archbold Gymnasium pool

The renovation of Archbold Gymnasium involves the construction of a multiuse pool. The design for the pool has been updated after a campuswide forum to include a six-lane lap pool, a spa pool and an accessible entry point that is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.  

Diversity hiring

SU hired an employee in its human resources department to provide support to faculty search committees in diversity hiring and assisting dual career candidates. The unnamed hire will start in late June.