ON CAMPUS

Construction on Schine renovation could begin as early as January 2019

Focus groups will be held with students when they return to SU in the fall.

Renovations to Syracuse University’s Schine Student Center could begin as early as January 2019, an SU official said at a press conference on Monday.

Pete Sala, SU’s vice president and chief facilities officer, said that schematic design and programming for the renovation will be completed throughout summer 2018 and into September. From there, SU will start working to secure permitting with the city of Syracuse, he added.

SU officials plan to hold focus groups with students once they return to campus in the fall, Sala said. Construction plans will be brought to the Board of Trustees in November 2018, and construction is expected to begin in January 2019, Sala said.

Potential renovations to the student center includes the additional meeting rooms, an enhanced dining area and a new student lounge, according to a draft of the Campus Framework plan.

The Schine renovations are part of SU’s Campus Framework plan, a 20-year guideline for physical campus development. Other Campus Framework projects include the University Place promenade, the Archbold Gymnasium renovations and the Carrier Dome roof upgrade.

On Monday, SU announced that it expected the Dome’s roof replacement to be completed by fall 2020. The Dome will also be renovated with air conditioning, a new scoreboard and accessibility upgrades, among other things.