THETA TAU

Theta Tau grand regent says SU fraternity chapter will be held ‘appropriately accountable’

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

“We’re committed to investigating this situation thoroughly, and all individuals who are involved will be held appropriately accountable,” the grand regent said.

The Theta Tau fraternity’s grant regent on Thursday said the national organization launched an investigation and will take “appropriate actions” in response to a video showing members of the Syracuse University chapter of Theta Tau engaging in what he called “disgraceful” behavior.

The statement from Matthew Clark, Theta Tau’s grand regent, was posted on the national organization’s Facebook page Thursday afternoon.

“Theta Tau has a no tolerance policy for this troubling and offensive behavior, and the actions of these individuals are truly disgraceful,” Clark said in the statement.

The SU chapter of the Theta Tau fraternity was suspended Wednesday morning after the university confirmed it was involved in the creation of online videos showing fraternity members engaging in behaviors that were “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities,” Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a campus-wide email Wednesday.

Clark said a preliminary investigation revealed that the video showed a parody, skit or roast of active brothers by the current pledge class. He said the actions were “not Chapter members hazing, humiliating, or disparaging its pledges as the university had described” to its national office.

He added, though, that the actions in the video were still inexcusable.

In recordings obtained by The Daily Orange showing the videos, which were filmed in Theta Tau’s house, a person forces another person to his knees and asks him to repeat an “oath” including racial slurs.

An SU spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story.

“The content of the video is unacceptable and directly violates the values and expectations that have been put in place for all of our chapters,” Clark said. “We’re committed to investigating this situation thoroughly, and all individuals who are involved will be held appropriately accountable.”

MORE COVERAGE: