Theta Tau

Syverud: SU will start ‘top to bottom’ review of all Greek life policies, activities and culture

Kai Nguyen | Photo Editor

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud attended a University Senate meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

Chancellor Kent Syverud in a campus-wide email on Thursday evening said Syracuse University, in response to the suspension of SU’s Theta Tau fraternity chapter, is planning to start a “top to bottom review” of all Greek life policies, activities and culture this week.

The chapter was suspended Wednesday morning after the university confirmed it was involved in the creation of online videos showing fraternity members engaging in behaviors that were “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities,” Syverud said in a campus-wide email on Wednesday.

Additionally, the student judicial investigation of this matter commenced yesterday and has been pursued with vigor today, including interviews of almost all of the individuals directly involved.
Kent Syverud, Syracuse Chancellor

Syverud, in the Thursday email, called the Theta Tau fraternity members’ behavior a “painful wake-up call,” and said SU is taking immediate steps to meet a commitment of “fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment.” Among the actions Syverud detailed in the email:

• The university is planning to continue the suspension of all Theta Tau activities until further notice and “engage” the fraternity’s national office in “conducting a comprehensive chapter review.”
  • SU will conduct the “top to bottom review” of all Greek life policies, activities and culture. Syverud said that review and revision of “all our practices” should be completed before the fall 2018 semester.
  • Moving forward, SU will require all Greek and student organization leaders, members and advisers to participate in implicit bias training and inclusivity training.

Syverud’s Thursday response came almost 24 hours after The Daily Orange published a recording of a video, filmed in Theta Tau’s house, that shows a person forcing another person to his knees before asking him to repeat an “oath” including racial slurs.

“I solemnly swear to always have hatred in my heart for n*ggers, sp*cs and most importantly the f*ckin’ k*kes,” the person on his knees repeats.

The chancellor did not attend a forum Wednesday night at Hendricks Chapel organized in response to Theta Tau’s suspension. On Thursday afternoon, Syverud declined to comment on why he did not attend the forum.

“I’m not going to give an interview right now,” the chancellor said, when approached by a Daily Orange reporter at a Shaw Quadrangle rededication ceremony in Eggers Hall.

— Asst. News Editor Jordan Muller contributed reporting to this article.

MORE COVERAGE: